Friday, May 21, 2010

Initial entry - Well, I've done it - I've retired early and am ready to do something different. One of the activities I intend to pursue is to travel around the USA (and probably some of Canada, as well) and see the sights. I had made a few road trips when I was younger in a small pickup with a camper shell to sleep in. Now, my aches and pains tell me that I need something with more comfort to travel around in.

I've been investigating the various kinds of RVs on the market today and have come to the conclusion that a slide-in truck camper would fit my needs the best. I like the versatility of that style of RV as well as the greater maneuverability over a towed RV. I can take the camper off while at home and still have the use of the truck. I also don't have the increased insurance and maintenance costs of a class C motor home (which was my second choice).

Since I am a lone wolf, a truck camper will have plenty of space for me. I already had a truck I could use. However, after looking at potential campers, I decided I like the larger, heavier campers, and decided to upgrade the truck first. I have always like Chevy trucks so I got a 2010 Chevy Silverado 3500, with crewcab, long bed, and dual rear wheels which should be able to handle the size of camper I plan to get.

Here are a couple of pictures of the new truck.


1 comment:

  1. Great Pics and stories Mark - keep us entertained on your future journeys - Ray

    ReplyDelete